Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
[Progress - 10th February] Technician Portraits
« on: February 10, 2017, 01:32:59 PM »
Hey all,

First off I'd like a share a little news, Universe or Nothing will be showcased by two separate companies at the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. The two companies are Xenko, the 3D engine we use, and Noesis, our GUI framework. Both are very impressed by how UoN is shaping up.

I've been doing some polishing to the UIs and such for that showcase, but I've also been working on the Technicians system and UI. Part of that means getting rid of the old Technician portraits, which were just placeholders.

Here are the first four portraits:

They are modelled and rendered in 3D, and then converted to vectors for use in the UI.

Let me know what you think.

You will be able to replace portraits, and/or create your own Technicians, using the mod system.

I hope to have some footage of the basic Technician system fairly soon. :)

Thanks for reading!

Mark

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Progress - 10th February] Technician Portraits
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
Honestly, I'm not really impressed with the portraits, if they're just a picture. If these portraits actually make appropriate facial expressions and grimaces, then that's excellent. But if they're just icons, you can probably just have someone draw them.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 03:04:01 PM »
These portrait icons are a very small part of the UI, only 32px wide (half of what is shown in the picture above).

I realise they aren't amazing, but UoN has no funds beyond my savings, and getting an artist to design these would cost me €40+ each (as well as all of the time it takes to find and deal with an artist). I am not against paying for something which will make a big difference to the game overall, but these icons are not that in my opinion.

When UoN gets funding I do plan on getting an artist to do an entire pass on the UI, including these icons. I just need the graphics to be good enough until then.

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 03:07:05 PM »
That makes sense.

Laslon

• Ensign
  • She Canny Take It Captain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 11:18:37 PM »
Glad to see you will be getting some buzz out there in the convention world, should really help push the the hype up :) I'm still pretty hyped to get my hands on this :)