• 5 Replies

SolarSupremacy

• Ensign
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
How about a Discord server?
« on: January 11, 2018, 04:00:05 AM »
Hello, I am Solar!

I took the liberty to set up a Discord server for the Universe or Nothing community. --> https://discord.gg/YYUUQvz

If you don't know, Discord is an instant-messaging service which allows you to create highly-customisable communities and hang out with all your buddies for gaming. It is, for me at least, a hell of a lot nicer to use and much more personal than forums are.

I would love to see some of the supporters (or even developers) join so we could talk about the project and get involved in a more modern way. <3

Thank you!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How about a Discord server?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 08:11:37 AM »
Welcome to the forums!

I know of Discord and use it frequently; it's a great app. However, I'm not sure it would really fit UoN's needs, since the forums offer topics and easier searching through the older posts.

Nevertheless, I've joined the server.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:56:34 AM »
Hey Solar,

Welcome to the community.

I had considered using Discord, but the reality is we (currently) do not have enough community members (or public development activity) to warrant it.

We are also not yet ready to grow the community, as frankly people would get bored and leave before there is anything ready to play.

That is not to say I am against there being a Discord server, and I will drop in later to say hello.

I hope this doesn't all sound like a big downer, I believe in the future of UoN but due to my limited time and resources it is a long term project. I think raising people's expectations too high, or too early, can be the death of a project like this (as it creates a lot of pressure on the developer(s), and stress is a creativity killer).

All that being said, I do like your positivity. :)

SolarSupremacy

• Ensign
  • This text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:58:11 AM »
Wow you guys replied fast. I kind of put this on the back burner thinking "oh they'll get back when they have time". Guess I should have just refreshed the page after posting. ;)

Thanks for the replies though and I believe I understand. I would still argue that it seems nice to have a Discord server (even if it just has 5 people in it) as a nice place to chat but it's ultimately up to you.

Best of luck! Can't wait to yell sciency words at all of my friends. <3

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 04:26:38 PM »
Thanks very much man, delighted to have you aboard. :)

AdamS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 01:39:38 PM »
Is the Discord server free to join for everyone btw? Do I need an invite of some kind? I'd love to join.