Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
[Progress - 10th March] Internal Comms
« on: March 10, 2017, 12:27:40 PM »
Hey all,

I've been busy working on the Technicians gameplay, and a big part of that is the "Internal Comms".

Events can occur while a Technician is assigned to a system, these can be Instability events caused by overheating or damage, or they can be setbacks or breakthroughs in the action the Technician is currently engaged in (such as repairing the system).

When an event happens the Technician will send you a message through the Internal Comms, which appears in your list of notifications. When you click this notification it opens the message so that you can learn about the event and choose how to deal with it.

I am currently working on the UI for Internal Comms messages. This is the first draft, and I wanted to get some early feedback from you. The selected message is an example of a setback which has occurred during the repair of a system. You are given the choice to complete the repair quickly, but suffer extra Instability, or take the time to do a full repair.

And the chat area has been replaced with an Internal Comms area, it shows the number of pending messages, and the two latest (High Priority first) messages.

Internal Comms will be used for the other role subordinates (Tactical Operatives and Science Researchers) as well.

Thanks for reading!

Mark

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:06:04 PM by Mark »

Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [Progress - 10th March] Internal Comms
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 09:17:03 PM »
love the way you can choose for quick or complete fixes, nice idea

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 12:41:51 AM »
Thanks man. I really love this system, it gives you variety and interesting choices.

There will be many different kinds of events with different kinds of choices too. Like an imminent explosion in a system, will you leave the Technician there and risk his life in order to reduce the impact, or have him evacuate so that he is safe?

Plus, the system is completely mod based, so people can add new events, choices and dialog. I can't wait to see what gets added. 😊

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
The red triangles on the butons now really come into play. Now I see how much your previous decision was correct. Bravo!

The tags Engineering and High Priority look more like tabs, then tags. Unless they really are tabs, you might want to design them in a slightly different way or place them in a different location.

I also love the fact that we have a choice to make, regarding the fix. Gives so much more depth to the game.

Do we see the reply we send to the technician? In this case, if one selects the "Quick Fix", our message could be something like "Just patch the holes and get on with it." Or does the message simply get archived once we select a response? Can we view the messages we've responded to? Can we instruct the technician to do a Complete Fix on something he just did a quick fix earlier, once we have extra time?

What other uses of Internal Comms do you see? Specifically in the Engineer's case. Will there be messages from other consoles, such as requesting power for certain nodes?

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks man. 😊

Before I get onto responding to your questions, I would just like to say how much I appreciate that you guys are such critical thinkers. Never stop questioning me on ideas/decisions, and certainly never stop suggesting alternatives. You are making UoN a better game than it otherwise would be.

Good call on the Engineering and High Priority tags. Do you think making them darker might help?

In regards to Internal Comms message replys, I had two reasons for keeping them very short. One is to not slow down the pace of gameplay, the player already has plenty to be doing without being forced to read lines of text (you can ignore the subordinate's message and go straight to the responses, if you want). The second is that I didn't want to be putting words into the players mouth, where the reply might be nothing like what I would say. This is certainly the time for feedback on those decisions though.

Messages get archived once you have dealt with them. You will be able to view archived messages, where it will show which option was chosen. You will not be able to interact with archived messages.

In the case of the example, if you chose Quick Fix that repair would be completed and 18% Instability would added to the system. You could then order the Technician to do a complete fix by clicking on the Repair button, but the 18% Instability would remain until you had a Technician Stabilize it. In the fiction of the world Stabilizing is the recalibration of the systems parts. So a system does not need to have structural damage (Integrity loss) to be unstable.

I do intend to have a context sensitive request system which will raise Internal Comms messages. For example in Tactical I could click on a Turret and choose the "Increase Power" request, which would generate a message for Engineering to increase power to that Turret. The Engineer would not have the option to increase power automatically, but instead would have quick responses, something like "Yes", "No", "As soon as I can" and "Not possible, sorry".

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:04:12 PM »
Good call on the Engineering and High Priority tags. Do you think making them darker might help?
I think you just need to change the shape, so it doesn't look like a tab. Maybe put them in a round placeholder, rather than the one in the same shape as actual tab heading with the Technician's name and node.

The second is that I didn't want to be putting words into the players mouth, where the reply might be nothing like what I would say.
You're right. I was thinking about this, but didn't include it in my post. But you are absolutely right.

I do intend to have a context sensitive request system which will raise Internal Comms messages. For example in Tactical I could click on a Turret and choose the "Increase Power" request, which would generate a message for Engineering to increase power to that Turret. The Engineer would not have the option to increase power automatically, but instead would have quick responses, something like "Yes", "No", "As soon as I can" and "Not possible, sorry".
I love this. It offers so much possibilites that it's mind boggling.

One more thing. The message from the Technician has a subject line that starts with "RE:". If I'm not mistaken, you don't need that part, since that's only for the response messages. The "RE:" would exist in the message the Technician receives from the Engineer, but that is not viable to the player.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »
Ah yes I hadn't looked at the tags in that way, I will experiment with different styles and placement.

Good call on the "RE:", I will replace it with "SUBJECT:" and add the "RE:" to the title for responses.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 03:57:27 PM »
Here are the tags with the rounded sides, as suggested by Blaze:

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 04:26:56 PM »
I think that's much clearer that they are tags, and not tabs.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 04:27:46 PM »
Yeah I agree. Thanks man.