[Progress - 14th Feb] Engineering Power Wheel UI Valid Node Animation

• 2 Replies

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Hi all,

When a player is dragging a new connection (from a reactor node to an equipment node) it wasn't obvious which equipment nodes could be reached by the selected reactor node.

Today I added an animation to make that clear. When you click on a reactor node all of the equipment nodes that it can reach (which aren't already at max power) will flash yellow. When you click on an equipment node any reactors with active connections to that equipment will flash orange.

Here is the new update in operation:

I'm not completely happy with the (flashing) yellow colour, I had to darken it so that the number over it would stay legible. In the UI so far I've used a very light yellow to denote increasing and max power, and orange to represent decreasing and low power.

Next items on my dev list are:
  • Animations when equipment is used (the icon pulses blue) and when damage is taken (the background pulses red).
  • Selecting existing connections by clicking on their lines, allowing their power to be changed with a keypress or the mouse scrollwheel.

As always feedback is very welcome.

Thanks for reading!

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Progress - 14th Feb] Engineering Power Wheel UI Valid Node Animation
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:16:01 AM »
Looking at the animation, I wanted to say that a darker shade of yellow would be better, since it seems like it's hard to see the number while the flashing is occuring, but then I saw the update. :)

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Progress - 14th Feb] Engineering Power Wheel UI Valid Node Animation
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:57:05 AM »
I still feel a colour revision would be good at some stage, but it is good for now.

I feel I am good at shape and form, but not so much on colour design.