Custom ship modules and ship design

• 7 Replies

Gr8alphaogre

• Ensign
  • I make the gears turn, you make the enemy burn.
    • View Profile
Custom ship modules and ship design
« on: August 20, 2016, 07:42:31 PM »
Looking at the engineering overlay gave me an idea that I think would fit well within the scope of this game.

The ship has different sections that take up a certain amount of room on the wheel of power. There are standard ship layouts for example the comma array in the reay, two cannons on either side and a shield up front. Would it be possible to upgrade the ship to have more items in the same space. For example you have a shield emitter at level 1, it takes up a standard space in the power wheel, could there be a point in the game or a space station that can upgrade portions of your ship so that you could have a shield emitter that took half the space but provided the same amount of protection?  This would allow an additional shield emitter or another turret (also taking half the standard space) for more advanced ships.

Additionally would it be possible to create your own ship with the modules. Such as replacing all the shield emitters with engines in order to be fast but unprotected, or a heavy slow ship with lots of armor/shields?

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Custom ship modules and ship design
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 10:56:19 PM »
First of all, I love your suggestions.

My only issue with varied system sizes is that the system slices on the power wheel are already as small as I could make them (considering that they have to be easy to read on small screens) and if I make them bigger it'll be difficult to fit all of the required systems on the wheel, and allow for enough variety between ships or ship variants.

Each system on the wheel is a slot currently, which you install equipment into. Each slot has an equipment type (turret, shield etc.) and a class from 1 to 5 (1 being the weakest and 5 being the strongest). A class 3 turret system slot could take any class 3 (or lower) turret for example.

We do have different power wheel configurations for each ship, with different system types and in different places, but these are in the form of variants. Variants will allow you to choose a ship to suit your play-style. I don't think we can allow power wheel configurations to be customised beyond that because it would lead the min maxing of ships, where the community figure out overpowered configurations and everyone uses those.

Laslon

• Ensign
  • She Canny Take It Captain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:07:26 AM »
First of all, I love your suggestions.

My only issue with varied system sizes is that the system slices on the power wheel are already as small as I could make them (considering that they have to be easy to read on small screens) and if I make them bigger it'll be difficult to fit all of the required systems on the wheel, and allow for enough variety between ships or ship variants.

Each system on the wheel is a slot currently, which you install equipment into. Each slot has an equipment type (turret, shield etc.) and a class from 1 to 5 (1 being the weakest and 5 being the strongest). A class 3 turret system slot could take any class 3 (or lower) turret for example.

We do have different power wheel configurations for each ship, with different system types and in different places, but these are in the form of variants. Variants will allow you to choose a ship to suit your play-style. I don't think we can allow power wheel configurations to be customised beyond that because it would lead the min maxing of ships, where the community figure out overpowered configurations and everyone uses those.

I posted something similar in a different topic, I was not suggesting that the main "circle in each screen be customise-able, just the location of the sub-menus, and size configuration available for the lose that may have larger screens.

I'm not sure if I have asked before, but will you be supporting VR at all? Not that it would effect me for a while. :(

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 11:26:26 AM »
If we are super successful we will do a virtual bridge with VR support, but we would need to get around €500,000 to make that a reality.

No walking around the ship mind, or boarding other ships, but just the ability to be on a virtual bridge with friends.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 11:27:04 AM »
At this point though I'd just be happy to get enough funding to make the base game! :)

Laslon

• Ensign
  • She Canny Take It Captain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 06:28:30 PM »
At this point though I'd just be happy to get enough funding to make the base game! :)

What is your target budget? Do you have crowdfunder/kickstarter etc... (I.e where can i send you money lol)

Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 06:50:48 PM »
I would kickstarter the shit out of this game!

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 08:57:20 PM »
Thanks guys. :D

I'll post about funding plans in a new topic.