Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
[Progress - 3rd August] Engineering UI Completion
« on: August 03, 2016, 12:55:34 AM »
Hey all,

I've been working on completing the Engineering UI design, and here it is (click for the full size version):

There are two big additions here since the last update.

The first is the System Pane Status, showing a graphic of the selected system along with a detailed view of it's current state (Integrity, Stability, Heat, Power, and Status Alerts). The graphic is placeholder, it will be a 3D render of the system using a holographic shader.

The second is the armor plating section and shield section indicators arrayed around the power wheel. The armor plating sections cover the systems which they protect, and the shield sections (usually front and rear) cover the armor plating sections which they protect. Armor sections show their current integrity as a percentage. Shields are either on (light blue) or off (dark green), when shields are on they block all damage to their underlying armor sections and the systems they contain.

I am a little concerned that the power wheel may look a little too visually "busy" now, but I like how it conveys it's information. What do you think?

I'll be working on a full write up of everything in it soon, but if you've any questions, critiques or suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for reading!

Mark
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:34:35 AM by Mark »

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Progress - 3rd July] Engineering UI Completion
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 02:16:37 AM »
Isaac has suggested colour blocking to group the different sections of the UI, as a means of reducing visual complexity. I am going to experiment with that over the coming days.

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Progress - 3rd August] Engineering UI Completion
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 07:35:26 AM »
To me, the Power Wheel doesn't seem too "busy", but rather it feels like it's bursting with neatly organized information. But that might be due to the fact I've been with it's development since long ago. Therefore, I'll spend a few minutes with some of my colleagues who are interested in Artemis, and will show them the Power Wheel and answer their questions. I'll report their feedback back to you.

What's the top node of the power wheel? I don't remember seeing that icon. And the one on the right of it is a cannon of some sorts?

We haven't discussed shields, so can you tell us more about that? Who turns them on or off? Are they the shield nodes? Does the shield have a percentage of how strong it is? Do some ships have stronger shields than others? Do the shields have phases or frequencies?

And can you share more insight into the Ship Status section? What's the red line in the far right? How can we fix the damaged hull? Does the ship icon represent the hull damage or the overall ship damage on the part of the ship? Meaning, does it show the hull damage or the system damage (turrets, propulsion, etc.)? Can you remind me what the number 0, the 4 lines around it, and the crosshair are?

Can a ship loose a part of it? Does it still function after that? Or does it shut down or explode?

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »
I'll spend a few minutes with some of my colleagues who are interested in Artemis, and will show them the Power Wheel and answer their questions. I'll report their feedback back to you.
Thanks for doing that, I really appreciate it.

What's the top node of the power wheel? I don't remember seeing that icon. And the one on the right of it is a cannon of some sorts?
I decided to separate out short range sensors (the radar icon) from long range sensors (the dish icon, the system on top of the wheel). I like the extra choice this gives, in focusing power on short, long, or both. It also is a "power sink" for the front of the ship, which was something I felt was lacking (it was just shields and weapons before). The system to the right of the long range sensors is the torpedo launcher.

We haven't discussed shields, so can you tell us more about that? Who turns them on or off? Are they the shield nodes? Does the shield have a percentage of how strong it is? Do some ships have stronger shields than others? Do the shields have phases or frequencies?
First of all the forward shield is provided by the forward shield system (top of the wheel), and the rear shield is provided by the rear shield system (bottom of the wheel).
Helm is in charge of ship defenses, including toggling shields. However as with all systems, Engineering can power down shields which would prevent Helm from using them.
As to how they work, the simplest explanation is that when the shield is on it absorbs all damage.
The more complicated answer is that when a shield is hit some of the damage is deflected into space (more on that in a second) and the rest is converted to heat in the shield system. If the system overheats (the heat goes over capacity) then this excess heat is converted into instability. It is this instability which will eventually cause the shields to fail. Therefor shields do not have a power level as they do in other games. Increasing the power to shields increases the deflection of damage, so that less heat builds up and the shields remain stable for longer.
Shields do have frequencies. If the enemy is using phased weaponry (usually energy based weapons) then they can attune the frequency of the weapons to the shield. This reduces the shield's deflection, causing more or all of the damage to be converted to heat on the shield system.

And can you share more insight into the Ship Status section?
What's the red line in the far right?

This shows the current strength of the ship's energy signature, lower is better.

How can we fix the damaged hull?
Hull damage has to be repaired at a station which has a repair dock (all UNION military stations will have these, some allied and civilian stations will have them too).

Does the ship icon represent the hull damage or the overall ship damage on the part of the ship? Meaning, does it show the hull damage or the system damage (turrets, propulsion, etc.)?
This shows the damage to the armor sections on the ship using colour from green to red, these are same sections which are arrayed around the power wheel. The Status pane is shown on all role UIs, so this indicator is not just for Engineering. As with the sections arrayed around the power wheel, hovering over these sections will give you show you the current and max integrity value of the armor.

Damage that penetrates or bypasses armor (due to armor being destroyed) can hit a system, doing damage to it. But whether or not a system is damaged the hull will always take damage. The hull is health bar of the ship.

Can you remind me what the number 0, the 4 lines around it, and the crosshair are?
This is the number of locks that other ships currently have on yours (giving an idea of how much danger you are currently in).

Can a ship lose a part of it? Does it still function after that? Or does it shut down or explode?
An extreme instability event can cause a system to be completely destroyed, meaning it will need to be replaced at a repair dock. Other less extreme stability events can cause explosions, which can damage neighboring systems. Usually they just shut down until they have been repaired (there is a minimum repair time though, you can't just repair it to 1% and turn it back on).

Thanks for your input and questions!

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:50:08 AM »
A friend has just seen the Wheel, and the first feedback he gave is as follows (translated from Croatian):
Looks complicated, but also modern. I have a feeling that some elements may be too small, so it might be bothersome trying to click on them while panicking.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 08:54:36 AM »
A friend has just seen the Wheel, and the first feedback he gave is as follows (translated from Croatian):
Looks complicated, but also modern. I have a feeling that some elements may be too small, so it might be bothersome trying to click on them while panicking.

Is your friend interested in space sims, was he interested in playing this game after seeing the UI?

All clickable elements are large and spaced enough for finger touches, also on larger screens everything is scaled up. I will tweak these things if play-testing shows that they are too small though.

Thanks!

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »
He was already interested in space sims, but he claims he's not relevant for answering the question you've asked, since he's interested in the game based purely on all I've already told him about it. :)

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 09:39:27 AM »
Hahaha, thanks. :D

My focus now is on making the UI easier to read/understand.

I took Isaac's suggestion of colour blocking and replaced the outlined panels with solid colour backgrounds. I also removed as many lines as possible, replacing vertical lines on layout boxes with just partial nubs.

I re-coloured the power wheel armor bar, making it darker so it doesn't pop as much.

And lastly I colour coded the armor section icons to represent the damage, as is done on the ship in the Status panel.

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 09:41:56 AM »
Oooh, I like it!

I didn't even realize it would be such a huge difference.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:43:29 AM »
Yeah I think it makes a huge difference, and the most important thing is that the interactable elements (anything surrounded by a bright blue line) are much more obvious now.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 09:47:31 AM »
As for the question of complicated.

Complexity can be good, as long as it makes for a better experience. If any complexity doesn't add to the experience, then we remove it.

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2016, 10:11:22 AM »
I sent my friend the gif showing how to add power to nodes and the following is his feedback:

If I'm honest, I don't like it. I need to target a line with a mouse? C'mon, imagine you're in the ship, you're being fired upon, everything is shaking, and you're trying to hit a line with a mouse.

I've never thought about it like that... I know I had some ideas how to change that without having to drag it multiple times, but I don't think it was anything that would fix the issue he wrote about. Well, there is one idea, but that works only on initial set up, not on further modifications: when you first drag the power line, the number pops out and you can type it or scroll it to as high as you want/can.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »
Well there are a few things here.

One is that the hit box on the line is 10px wide, even if the line is only 1px or 2px wide, so you don't have to be precise. I will be adding your suggestion of typing the number, as well as the ability to use the mouse wheel to adjust the current power of a line up and down.

Also when you are making a new connection you can drop the connection anywhere on the system, not just on the node.

Really, when using the UI this is not an issue. :)

I really do appreciate this input.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 10:24:03 AM by Mark »

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 08:45:10 PM »
I've written a post on Imgur showing some of the steps I've taken to get the Engineering UI to where it is now: http://imgur.com/gallery/yEphH

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 08:52:28 PM »
Nice.

Though I've no idea why it already has negative points...