Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
[Progress - 3rd April] Engines and Spaceships
« on: April 03, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »
Hi all,

So there has been a lot happening on UNION these past few weeks!

I have primarily been working on the modding system, which really impacts on all areas of the game. That work is mostly done, but at the end of it I came to a realisation, that Unity is not the right engine for UNION. I'll explain why a little further down!

The other piece of news is that over the past few weeks we've been working with Isaac Hannaford on the spaceship designs for UNION. Isaac is a brilliant concept artist and art director, whose body of work includes Halo 3, Halo ODST, Reach, Destiny.

Here is an illustration by Isaac containing his first two ships for UNION, the UNION Kite class frigate in combat against two Centauri Alliance Takuba class frigates:

We're keeping these ships low-key at the moment as we'll be putting out a press release with them over the next week or two.

Back to the engine issue. Unity has many positive attributes, but when you start pushing it in directions it wasn't designed for, you run into a lot of issues. The latest of these has been random crashes caused by dynamically loading textures while the game is running. This is an important part of modding, allowing people to reskin ships or add completely new ones. The crashes occur randomly and are caused by something inside of Unity's code (which I have no access to), so I have no simple solution to them, There have been many other issues, but I have overcome (worked around) them. This latest problem is the final nail in the coffin though, I can't risk getting to release only to find we have random crashes.

For that reason I have decided to move UNION to a new engine, called Xenko. The primary reasons are that Xenko is entirely written in C# (which is my preferred language), it is code-first rather than editor-first, and I have access to the full source code for the engine. The full source means that if there are issues I can identify and fix them myself, rather than hoping Unity will find and fix them for me.

The main downside is that Xenko doesn't have the ease of use that Unity offers, with it's mountain of community content (like tutorials, libraries, plugins, forums with info). That is not a major issue though, and I do enjoy a challenge. :)

This does mean further delays before we can show more in-game footage, but it is a positive development for the game.

Thanks for reading!

Mark
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:26:57 PM by Mark »

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Progress - 3rd April] Engines and Spaceships
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 05:30:02 PM »
Thanks for the update!

I'm happy to hear the team is growing bigger. Isaac, your work is a blissful sight for sore eyes, and I cannot wait to see what else you have in mind.

Too bad about the delay, Mark, but it's better to delay the game slightly, than to work on it with an unstable engine. I do hope you're able to delay it without major consequences for yourself or the team.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 06:07:17 PM »
Thanks Blaze!

We are very lucky to have Isaac involved, and we are all very excited to see his ships in-game.

Isaac has a lot going on at the moment, with two major projects in the works. He made time to create two ships now, to set the tone and style, to give us a ship from each faction to play with, and to give us material for marketing the game. He will, all gowing well, be creating the rest of our ships later in development.

The delay is unfortunate, but at the end of the day it will lead to a stronger game. We are in this for the long haul, with plans for expansions and sequels, so getting the game right is important. :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:34:21 PM by Mark »

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 10:18:59 PM »
I'm making really great progress on moving UNION to the new engine, as well as making significant progress on the modding system (it's not much better!).

There's a lot to cover, I will do a new post with the details over the weekend.

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 12:28:18 AM »
Okay, thanks! For the update and the hard work. :)