Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
[Progress - 4th March] Pausing the Simulation
« on: March 04, 2016, 05:27:11 PM »
Hey all,

I have nothing visual to show today, because my work over the past week has mainly been on adding the ability to pause all simulations in UNION. I have the pausing itself working, and am in the process of adding the ability to the UI.

I'll get into the details in a minute, but first I wanted to explain why this feature exists and that is singleplayer. We believe that UNION should be a rich experience for anyone who wants to play it solo. In UNION any empty roles (stations, in Artemis speak) will be filled by AI crew members (this can be disabled in the game options). These AI crew members can be given simple orders by the Captain, like plotting a path on the navigation map and ordering the Helm to follow it, ordering Helm to orbit a target, ordering Tactical to lock or fire on a ship, or ordering Engineering to go to Silent Running mode etc.

At any point a player can jump into any of these AI controlled roles for full control, then leave it again and allow the AI crew member to take over.

This is not meant to replace multiplayer, but to exist alongside it. At any time a person playing singleplayer can invite other players to join their game as crew members. It also serves as a nice training platform for new players.

So back to pausing. Pausing is only available if there is only one player-crewed ship in the game, so if a second player-controlled ship joins then pausing is no longer available. Pausing can also be disabled in the game settings.

Only the Captain can pause the simulation. I say "pause the simulation" because the crew can still interact with all of their UIs, changing and tweaking all of their systems. While the simulation is paused Engineers can reconfigure power, use coolant, reassign Technicians, Tactical can modify weapon groups, lock new targets, and so on. Obviously none of this has any effect on the simulation until it is un-paused. This pause functionality allows a single player, or a minimal crew, to manage a whole ship.

I realise pausing could be used as a crutch for a crew, removing urgency, but that is their choice. We will recommend in-game that pausing is disabled in cooperative games.

Oh also, speeding up the simulation is not feasible for us as it would require a lot of extra work to implement and support. So the speeds are normal and paused.

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks for reading!

Mark
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:54:05 PM by Mark »

Grey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [Progress - 4th March] Pausing the Simulation
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:57:08 AM »
I could imagine that in mulityplayer you could send a message to the other ship for a ceasefire/refueling (i.e. bathroom break/getting some drinks) and they could accept it. so the game could be paused if both/all parties agreed for it.
Speeding things up doesn't seem te be useful.

Keep up the good work

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 08:05:50 AM »
I really like that suggestion. I think that pausing in a multi-player-ship game would need to be a done using a voting system, where one Captain calls a vote to pause and all other Captains must vote yes for the pause to happen.

Thanks!

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 03:13:34 PM »
Pausing is really useful in this type of a game. The idea about Captain's voting on it is exceptional! In cooperative missions, it can happen that someone looses a connection; having the game pause-able would allow the rest of the crew to wait for their absent comrade.

Also, please add a message saying that the game is paused (in Pause Mode?). This doesn't exist in Artemis, so we're often unsure if the game froze (which happened to me a few times) or if it's really paused.

On a side note, it seems like I've stopped receiving mails when a new forum topic or post is made... Weird.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 03:37:01 PM »
Also, please add a message saying that the game is paused (in Pause Mode?). This doesn't exist in Artemis, so we're often unsure if the game froze (which happened to me a few times) or if it's really paused.
Absolutely, our focus in UI design is feedback, feedback, feedback.

On a side note, it seems like I've stopped receiving mails when a new forum topic or post is made... Weird.

I think that the mail is getting caught in your spam filter, can you confirm? This is due to a misconfiguration on the server, I'm working on it today.

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »
Absolutely, our focus in UI design is feedback, feedback, feedback.
That's a good focus to have.

I think that the mail is getting caught in your spam filter, can you confirm? This is due to a misconfiguration on the server, I'm working on it today.
It did earlier, so I added a GMail filter that's defined like this:
Code: [Select]
Matches: from:(*@wiredgames.eu)
Do this: Apply label "UNION", Never send it to Spam

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 07:24:43 PM »
Thanks Blaze.

I reconfigured the email server and now the mail will no longer go to Spam by default.