Multimonitor support

• 9 Replies

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
Multimonitor support
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:45:09 AM »
I have a question about something that was not discussed in this post, but it is connected the UI, basically. Will you be able to support showing UNION on multiple monitors?

Let me make my quesiton a bit clearer. I have two monitors of different sizes: a big one (24'') and a small one (19''). The big monitor is my main, and is used for the gaming, but I love to have something game related on the other monitor. For example, in Fallout 4 or Skyrim, it would be great to have the map or the inventory on the other screen, so you don't have to open it up to check where you are or what you have. In Artemis, we open another client and connect to the Main Screen to see the outside, but it would be phenomenal if you could somehow support that in the game itself, in a single client.

Let's say the player is playing an Engineer. His main screen (the big one, in my case) would have the Power Wheel on. The other screen (the small one, in my case) could have the options to show the visuals of the ship, the stellar map or something entirely else that's useful.

What do you think about this?

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Multimonitor support
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 12:18:28 PM »
The design of this feature wI'll be done at a much later stage (after the main screens, of course), but it is definitely on the cards.

We will have secondary views, like you have described, and these can be enabled on other monitors from within the game. You will also be able to load UNION on another computer, join a crew as an Observer, and display secondary views on other screens.

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »
Awesome!

Being able to load UNION on another computer means there's no DRM, right?

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
Yeah no DRM, even if bought on Steam.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »
Pirates will pirate. The people DRM affects the worst is paying customers, and that is just silly.

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 12:24:54 PM »
I agree 100%. DRM doesn't affect the pirates. I would even say that it makes people more likely to pirate the game, if it has DRM, though most don't even think about it.

Anyway, back on topic, I do wonder how will the multimonitor support be implemented, since some folks have a much smaller second sreen or have more than two or have multiple monitors of equal size... So many possibilites.

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 12:28:47 PM »
I will render to each extra screen directly, fullscreen at the screen's native resolution.

Because of the vectors and UI scaling, it should "just work". :)

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 12:30:10 PM »
Will that be windowed borderless fullscreen? Or will we have to minimize the game in order to open up a browser or another application?

Mark

• Wired Games
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »
The game, normally, will support borderless window. Multi-monitor may require fullscreen exclusive, I will need to test it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:34:17 PM by Mark »

Blaze

• Lt. Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 01:27:45 PM »
Ok, thanks!